About the Diocese of Savannah

The Diocese of Savannah was formed in 1850, comprising the entire State of Georgia and a large part of the State of Florida. The Cathedral of St. John the Baptist, dedicated in 1876, is the seat of the Diocese of Savannah. Today the Diocese includes 90 counties of the southern part of Georgia. There are 77,287 Catholics.

SIZE
The Diocese of Savannah comprises 90 counties in south Georgia. It covers 37,038 square miles.
POPULATION
The total population of the southern part of Georgia is 2,800,000 . Catholics number 77,287.
PARISHES
There are 55 parishes, with a total of 24 missions and mission stations.
PRIESTS
The current number of priests (diocesan and religious) stands at 120 Of these, 88 are serving actively, while 27 priests are in retirement status.
DEACONS
74 men serve the Diocese as members of the permanent diaconate.
RELIGIOUS
We have a total of 82 Sisters and 2 Brothers.
SCHOOLS
There are 5 Catholic high schools and 13 elementary schools serving 5,823 students.
RELIGIOUS EDUCATION CLASSES
There are 655 high school students and 4,431 elementary students enrolled in the catechesis/religious education program. A total of 4,902 students are under Catholic instruction.
HOSPITAL
The Diocese of Savannah has 1 Catholic hospital in Savannah.
SOCIAL SERVICES
There are 15 Social Service centers in the Diocese.
Go to top
.