Diocesan History Book

One Faith, One Family, the Diocese of Savannah 1850-2000, contains the stories of each of our parishes as well as the general history of the Catholic population over the years. Bound in green with gold-embossed title, 344 pages, many illustrations and maps, a comprehensive index. Cost is $20.00

The earliest Catholic presence in what is now the State of Georgia began with the arrival of Spanish missionaries in the 16th century. For many years the Franciscans maintained a network of mission stations which stretched from St. Augustine to the Savannah River. The arrival of the British brought an end to the period of Spanish presence. No Catholics were permitted in the new colony of Georgia.

After the Revolutionary War small groups moved into the area of Locust Grove, near Augusta, and to Savannah, where the church of St. John the Baptist was established. Savannah belonged first to the Diocese of Baltimore, and later to the Diocese of Charleston.

In 1850 the numbers of Catholics had grown, and a new Diocese of Savannah was formed, taking in the entire State of Georgia and a large part of the State of Florida. The Diocese was re-named Diocese of Savannah-Atlanta in 1937, with a cathedral in each city. In 1956 the division became permanent, with Atlanta (later an Archdiocese) taking the northern part of the State, Savannah taking the southern half.

Go to top
.