The Diocese of Savannah has continuously published a newspaper since 1920.
The first issues were called the Bulletin of the Catholic Laymen's Association and published through October of 1956. When the Diocese of Atlanta formed, the Bulletin of the Catholic Laymen's Association became the paper for both Dioceses. This lasted from November of 1956 through December of 1958, with the exception of 3 months in 1958 (January through March), when the Diocese of Savannah published The Savannah Bulletin. In 1959, The Bulletin, Diocese of Savannah Edition began publication concurrent with The Bulletin, Archdiocese of Atlanta Edition. Finally, in January of 1963, The Southern Cross, the current newspaper we know today, was formed. All Savannah editions of the newspapers are available in the Diocesan Archives for research. Publications prior to 1960 have been digitized and are also accessible online through UGA's Digital Libraries of Georgia Historic Newspapers Project.
Copyright for all publications prior to the Southern Cross (1963) may be requested through the Diocesan Archives. Please contact the Southern Cross for present copyright permissions.