Skip to main content

Many Members, Yet One Body

Founded in 1850, the Diocese of Savannah initially contained the entire state of Georgia and all of Florida east of the Apalachicola Bay. By 1860, the Diocese had been redrawn to comprise only Georgia.

It was re-designated the Diocese of Savannah–Atlanta in 1937. In 1956, the Diocese of Atlanta was erected and the name returned to the original.

PINE MOUNTAIN to SAVANNAH

260 miles
Drive Time: 4.5 hours

GROVETOWN to SAVANNAH

140 miles
Drive Time: 2.5 hours

DONALSONVILLE to SAVANNAH

290 miles
Drive Time: 5 hours

ST MARYS to SAVANNAH

114 miles
Drive Time: 2 hours

The Roman Catholic Diocese of Savannah embraces 37,038 square miles.

Within that territory live 2,950,000 people, 80,000 of whom are baptized Catholics (3% of the population).

The Diocese has 55 parishes and 22 missions, organized into 7 deaneries.

There are 5 Catholic high schools, 11 Catholic elementary schools, and 1 Catholic hospital.

Historical Perspective: 1850–2020

When the diocese was founded in 1850, there was one priest per 875 catholics.
One hundred years later, there was one priest per 220 catholics.

In 2020, there was one priest per 784 catholics.

FaLang translation system by Faboba