Skip to main content

Diocesan Publications

The Diocese of Savannah has continuously issued an official publication since 1920.

All Savannah editions of the newspapers are available in the Diocesan Archives for research. Publications prior to 1977 have been digitized and are also accessible online through Digital Libraries of Georgia Historic Newspapers.

Copyright for all publications prior to the Southern Cross (1963) may be requested through the Diocesan Archives. Please contact the Southern Cross for present copyright permissions.

The Bulletin of the Catholic Laymen's Association

1920-1957

The first issues were called The Bulletin of the Catholic Laymen's Association and published through October of 1956. When the Diocese of Atlanta formed, the Bulletin of the Catholic Laymen's Association became the paper for both Dioceses from November 1956 through December of 1958, with the exception of three months in 1958 (see The Savannah Bulletin).

The Savannah Bulletin

1958

For three months in 1958 (January through March), the Diocese of Savannah published The Savannah Bulletin.

The Bulletin, Diocese of Savannah Edition

1959–1963

In 1959, The Bulletin, Diocese of Savannah Edition began publication concurrent with The Bulletin, Archdiocese of Atlanta Edition.

The Southern Cross

1963–current

In January of 1963, the Southern Cross, the current publication we know today, was formed.

The Southern Cross was published in newspaper form until 2021, when it was converted to a magazine.

FaLang translation system by Faboba