Skip to main content

St. Benedict the Moor (Savannah)


Deanery: Savannah
Mass Times: Saturday Vigil: 5:30 PM | Sunday: 9:00 AM, 11:30 AM ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
Year Established: 1874

Phone: 912-232-7147

441 East Broad Street
Savannah, GA
31401
County: Chatham

The history of St. Benedict the Moor Catholic Church is a journey of Faith, “for we have come this far by Faith, trusting in the Lord”.

On May 13, 1874, two Benedictines, Rev Bergier and Rev Wissel arrived in Savannah to devote themselves to the spiritual interest of the African American population. Later that year, they constructed and dedicated a little frame church on the corner of East Broad and Harris Streets. It took only two weeks to construct the church. The site was only four blocks north of the present church. The yellow Fever that hit Savannah in 1876 took its toll upon Savannah and the Benedictines Fathers. Fr. Bergier died as a result of this fever. When the Benedictines withdrew, the parish was placed in the care of the Diocese of Savannah priests.

In 1888, the Bishop purchased land and a new church was constructed in 1889. The Benedictines again staffed the parish until 1907, when the parish was turned over to the Society of African Missions (SMA). Rev Ignatius Lissner and Rev Gustave Obrecht, both from France arrived at St. Benedict in 1907. St. Benedict became the “Mother Church” for Black Catholics. Fr. Obrecht served as pastor for nearly forty years Following Fr. Obrecht as pastor were Fr. Feeley, Fr. Harold and Fr. Bane. The 1889 Church was replaced by the current church in 1949. The current church was constructed on the same site of 1889 church. The SMAs left Savannah in 1968 and the Diocese of Savannah assumed responsibility of the parish.

FaLang translation system by Faboba