Skip to main content

St. Michael (Tybee Island)


Deanery: Savannah
Mass Times: Saturday Vigil: 6:00 PM | Sunday: 8:00 AM, 11:00 AM
Year Established: 1891

Phone: 912-786-4505

801 Butler Avenue
Tybee Island, GA
31328
County: Chatham

From the Savannah Morning News, July 6, 1891.

Tybee's Roman Catholic chapel was dedicated yesterday morning (July 5, 1891) by Bishop Thomas A. Becker, assisted by Vicar General Edward D. Cafferty and Rev. W. A. McCarthy. Bishop Becker named the chapel after St. Michael the Archangel, who is known as the rule of the waves. The name is peculiarly appropriate on account of the chapel being at the seaside.

The 9:30 o'clock train carried down about 200 people to attend the services, and they, together with Tybee residents, filled the little church to overflowing. There are 24 pews, with a seating capacity of about 275. Every one was taxed to its utmost capacity, people occupied chairs in the aisles and every foot of standing room around the door was taken up and many stood outside under the trees. Over 400 people were crowded into the building.

At 11 o'clock Bishop Becker and Fathers Cafferty and McCarthy, attired in their handsome vestments, came out of the sacristy and marched down the aisle to the entrace, where the bishop sprinkled holy water and blessed the chapel with appropriate prayers. On the return to the altar the congregation was sprinkled with holy water.

After the recitation of the litany of the saints and psalms, Mass was celebrated. The choir consisted of Mrs. Altick, Frank E. Rebarer and M.A. O'Byrne. Prof. Leo Mehrtens presided at the organ. The singing was excellent.

St. Michael costs about $2,000. The land upon which the church stands was donated by the Tybee Beach Company, at the instance of Capt. D. G. Purse. The erection of the church is mainly due to the efforts of Mr. Robert E. Pepper, president of the Atlantic Club.

FaLang translation system by Faboba