Skip to main content

St. Francis Xavier Catholic School

Phone: 912-265-9470
Fax: 912- 261-9950

1129 Grant Street
Brunswick, GA
County: Glynn

Founded by the Sisters of St. Joseph, St. Francis Xavier School began as St. Joseph's School and was established in Brunswick in 1900. Reverend P. J. Luckie, S.M., requested Rt. Reverend Benjamin J. Keiley, D.D., Bishop of Savannah,  open a Catholic school in St. Francis Xavier parish. The Sisters of St. Joseph started and staffed the school in September of that same year.

A former boarding house on the corner of Richmond and Howe streets became the first school and opened  with 60 pupils. Even in the beginning, this number of children proved to be too many for the building to accommodate.  In the spring of 1902, the parish purchased the property for and work began on the colonial-type building that served as a convent and school for so many years.

In 1953 a new convent, designed by C. M. McGarvey, was built for the sisters. In 1955 Reverend James Cummings, S.M., initiated the construction of a new, larger school.  The new name, St. Francis Xavier School, replaced that of St. Joseph School as a tribute to the people of the parish who generously supported their parochial school.

Our existing red brick school located at 1121 Union Street  originally consisted of eight classrooms, a kindergarten, cafetorium and kitchen, library, book supply room, lavatories,  principal's office, health room, and teachers’ lounge. The main building surrounded a courtyard. Two new classrooms were added  in 1964. Since then further expansions included buildings for a kindergarten and preschool  and a parish hall that the parish and school share. Our dedicated faculty and staff at St. Francis Xavier School work daily to continue the mission of the Sisters of St. Joseph.

FaLang translation system by Faboba