Skip to main content

St. James Catholic School



Phone: 912- 355-3132
Fax: 912-355-1996

8412 Whitefield Avenue
Savannah, GA
31406
County: Chatham

  • Opened in August of 1956 on the grounds of St. James the Less Chapel in Savannah, Georgia
  • Bishop Thomas J. McDonough staffed the school with four Sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary from Pennsylvania
  • On January 13, 1957, the dedication of the school and convent was held
  • In 1960, construction began on the upper school, with eight classrooms, and a cafeteria
  • In 1983, two additional classrooms and a fine arts room was added
  • In 1994, after the construction of the St. James Church and Parish center (gym), the administrative area and cafeteria were redesigned, and the additional rooms were built to accommodate a science lab, a computer lab and bathrooms in the annex
  • The school library has increased in size to include a media center to honor Mrs. Kay Blanton, the school librarian (1970-2000)
  • In 2006, the school was re-blessed by Bishop J. Kevin Boland in celebration of the school’s 50th anniversary
  • In 2014, a new Mac lab and iPad carts were added to the school
FaLang translation system by Faboba