Skip to main content

St. Augustine


Deanery: Albany
Mass Times: Saturday Vigil​: 5:00 PM ​| Sunday: 9:00 AM, 5:00 PM (Spanish)
Year Established: 1882

Phone: 229-226-3624

211 North Pinetree Boulevard
Thomasville, GA
31792
County: Thomas

St. Augustine Catholic Church originated as a Southwest Georgia Mission in the parlor of Mrs. Cora Dufour Barrett, a cultured French lady who came to Thomasville in the early 1870’s. Rev. Charles C. Prendergast from Savannah cared for the spiritual needs of the small Catholic community and celebrated Mass here about once a month.

A lot at the corner of Jefferson and Crawford Streets was purchased October 12, 1877, and four years later on November 12, 1881, a simple wooden structure was erected which became the first Catholic Sanctuary in Thomasville. The building was dedicated in February, 1882, as St. Augustine Catholic Church. Father Prendergast was placed in charge. The building was later relocated to Hansell Street, close to Smith Avenue and stands today as a Thomasville landmark. It presently serves as All Saint’s Episcopal Church.
In 1890, Thomasville experiences its great tourist boom, and because of the influx of people from the north, it became necessary to celebrate Mass in the new church at least twice a month. Father Prendergast died in 1896, and the Mission of St. Augustine was served primarily by priests from St. Teresa’s Church in Albany.

The continuing growth of the Catholic community demanded that St. Augustine no longer be a mission church, and the Most Reverend Gerald P. O’Hara, then Bishop of Savannah, appointed Rev. Thomas I. Sheehan as the first resident pastor of the Thomasville church. Father Sheehan assumed charge of his new parish on July 1, 1936. A home, located directly across the street from the church, was purchased at this time to be used as the church rectory. In December 1952, the Franciscan Friars from the Holy Name Province came to Thomasville to pastor St. Augustine as the invitation of the Bishop of Savannah. The first Franciscan Friar was Father Peter C. Sheridan, O.F.M.

Related Parishes

FaLang translation system by Faboba