Skip to main content

St. Peter Claver


Deanery: Macon
Mass Times: Saturday Vigil: 5:30 PM | Sunday: 9:00 AM, 11:15 AM, 1:30 PM (Spanish)
Year Established: 1888

Phone: 478-743-1454
Fax: 478-743-9868

131 Ward Street
Macon, GA
31204
County: Bibb

St. Peter Claver has been on the cutting edge of progression in every era, from its charter as an African American parish, to the present. St. Peter Claver has always taken an active role in the community and continues to do so. Located on Ward Street in Macon, Georgia, St. Peter Claver dates back to 1888, and is considered a historic landmark in the state of Georgia. St. Peter Claver has a parish school.

St. Peter Claver was founded as an African American mission parish by the Jesuits (Society of Jesus) who founded St. Stanislaus College on Pio Nono Avenue in 1888. The church moved from Pio Nono Avenue to its current location on Ward Street in 1913. St. Peter Claver serves a fully integrated congregation in Pleasant Hill, an African American neighborhood. Unlike many Catholic parishes in the South, the church has always been integrated.

– By Jane Hammond, Regan Hice, Melissa Mantecon, and Julian Onyekwere
Oral history with Muriel McDowell-Jackson

FaLang translation system by Faboba