LOG IN


  • You are here:
  • Parish
  • St. Augustine

St. Augustine

St. Augustine

Type: Parish

 

Address: 211 North Pinetree Boulevard, Thomasville 31792 | Thomas County Website:

  • Deanery:
  • Albany
  • Parish Features:
  • Spanish Mass
  • Year Established:
  • 1882

 

  • Details
  • Map


St. Augustine Catholic Church originated as a Southwest Georgia Mission in the parlor of Mrs. Cora Dufour Barrett, a cultured French lady who came to Thomasville in the early 1870’s. Rev. Charles C. Prendergast from Savannah cared for the spiritual needs of the small Catholic community and celebrated Mass here about once a month.

A lot at the corner of Jefferson and Crawford Streets was purchased October 12, 1877, and four years later on November 12, 1881, a simple wooden structure was erected which became the first Catholic Sanctuary in Thomasville. The building was dedicated in February, 1882, as St. Augustine Catholic Church. Father Prendergast was placed in charge. The building was later relocated to Hansell Street, close to Smith Avenue and stands today as a Thomasville landmark. It presently serves as All Saint’s Episcopal Church.
In 1890, Thomasville experiences its great tourist boom, and because of the influx of people from the north, it became necessary to celebrate Mass in the new church at least twice a month. Father Prendergast died in 1896, and the Mission of St. Augustine was served primarily by priests from St. Teresa’s Church in Albany.

The continuing growth of the Catholic community demanded that St. Augustine no longer be a mission church, and the Most Reverend Gerald P. O’Hara, then Bishop of Savannah, appointed Rev. Thomas I. Sheehan as the first resident pastor of the Thomasville church. Father Sheehan assumed charge of his new parish on July 1, 1936. A home, located directly across the street from the church, was purchased at this time to be used as the church rectory. In December 1952, the Franciscan Friars from the Holy Name Province came to Thomasville to pastor St. Augustine as the invitation of the Bishop of Savannah. The first Franciscan Friar was Father Peter C. Sheridan, O.F.M.

Map

Director of Catholic Education & Superintendent of Catholic Schools

Michelle Kroll
912-201-4122

Associate Superintendent of Catholic Schools

Carrie Jane Williamson
912-201-4120

Director of Curriculum and Instruction

912-201-4073

Executive Assistant to the Department of Catholic Education

Nancy Thornock
912-201-4121


St. Frances Cabrini, pray for us.