LOG IN


  • You are here:
  • Parish
  • St. Peter Claver

St. Peter Claver

St. Peter Claver

Type: Parish

 

Address: 131 Ward Street, Macon 31204 | Bibb County
Phone: 478-743-1454

Fax: 478-743-9868

Website:

  • Deanery:
  • Macon
  • Parish Features:
  • School, 
  • Spanish Mass
  • Year Established:
  • 1888

 

  • Details
  • Map

St. Peter Claver has been on the cutting edge of progression in every era, from its charter as an African American parish, to the present. St. Peter Claver has always taken an active role in the community and continues to do so. Located on Ward Street in Macon, Georgia, St. Peter Claver dates back to 1888, and is considered a historic landmark in the state of Georgia. It has a catholic school, a sanctuary, housing accommodations, specifically for the nuns and fathers, and a recreation facility. It is unusual among parishes in Georgia because its parishioners are primarily African American.

St. Peter Claver was founded as an African American mission parish by the Jesuits (Society of Jesus) who founded St. Stanislaus College on Pio Nono Avenue in 1888. The church moved from Pio Nono Avenue to its current location on Ward Street in 1913. St. Peter Claver serves a fully integrated congregation in Pleasant Hill, an African American neighborhood. Unlike many Catholic parishes in the South, the church has always been integrated. In fact, its priests are often foreign missionaries coming from France, Ireland, Poland and Nigeria. Its current priests come from New York State and Newfoundland, Canada.

– By Jane Hammond, Regan Hice, Melissa Mantecon, and Julian Onyekwere
Oral history with Muriel McDowell-Jackson

Map

Director of Catholic Education & Superintendent of Catholic Schools

Michelle Kroll
912-201-4122

Associate Superintendent of Catholic Schools

Carrie Jane Williamson
912-201-4120

Director of Curriculum and Instruction

912-201-4073

Executive Assistant to the Department of Catholic Education

Nancy Thornock
912-201-4121


St. Frances Cabrini, pray for us.