On October 15, 1949, Pope Pius XII appointed Father Francis E. Hyland Titular Bishop of Gomphi and Auxiliary Bishop of Savannah, to minister to Bishop O’Hara’s flock in his absence.
Bishop Hyland was consecrated on December 21, 1949. Pope Pius XII established the Diocese of Atlanta on July 17, 1956, with Bishop Hyland as its first bishop. The southern portion of Georgia was redesignated the “Diocese of Savannah.” Bishop Hyland was installed in Atlanta on November 8, 1956. He resigned on October 11, 1961 and Pope John XXIII appointed him Titular Bishop of Bisica, a title he held until his death on January 31, 1968.